Innovation and Development Department operates in the UDT structure. Its tasks include, in particular, identifying and implementing new research and testingmethods and proposing actions extending existing scope of activities performed by UDT.
Its experts regularly analyze global development trends in the field of diagnostics, research and measurement methods that can be applied in the Office's activities. They examine the usefulness of innovative methods, the level of their complexity, the methodology of research and the limits of research methods.
The next step is to validate the method, which is tackled jointly with other UDT units directly involved in its performance as a potential beneficiary.
If as a result of the validation the team of specialists acknowledges that due to economic and technical conditions the method can be applied in activities performed by departments responsible for testing and diagnostics, it enters the catalog of UDT expert services for entrepreneurs.
Innovation and Development Department conducts analyses of many innovative methods. This include, among others:
• use of drones in inspection (including testing of handling equipment, pipelines and tanks)
• eddy current (especially newly developed Pulse Eddy Current technique)
• infrared thermography with impulse excitation (changes in the structure of non-metallic materials)
• safety valves testing (during their operation)
• guided waves
• methodology for testing piping supports
• using the AUBT ultrasonic technique to detect high-temperature hydrogen attack
• using inspection robots